CHILDREN OF THE MALVERN HILLS
The following notes concern the Baugh, Cocke, Harris, and Price families of Shropshire and Virginia. Although detail is also given of the Baugh family of Worcestershire, county demarcations of this time are quite meaningless. The families mentioned hereinafter can be more accurately considered as ‘children of the Malvern Hills’; that is, they were a regional kinship group. The distance between Twining, Worcestershire, and Lulow, Shropshire is only 30 miles as the ‘crow flies’. The ‘children of the Malvern Hills’played a considerable role in the colonisation of early Virginia, recreating their kinship and parochial systems there; a planned effort, involving much mutual support and endeavour; women playing a vital role in the arranging of advantageous marriages.
The early Baughs:
The 15th century Baugh family of Worcestershire were closely linked to Richard Frewen, bailiff of Worcester in 1473, one of the benefactors that restored the abbey church of Great Malvern, of which monastery his relative, Richard Frewen, was prior. The effigies of him and his wife in stained glass were inserted in the abbey windows. His son was Richard Frewen, bur. at Hanley Castle, Worcestershire, in 1546.
His son, Roger Frewen of Hanley Castle, d. 1576, had issue: Richard Frewen of Hill & Earl’s Cromb and Northiam, Sussex, d. 1584, who m. Margaret Greenwood, d. 1598;their son being John Frewen, 1560-1628, rector of Northiam, who was succeeded in that role by his son and namesake, who m., in 1623,Dorothea Scott, da. of Thomas Scott of Goateley, br. of Anna Scott, who m. Joseph Boyes, son of Richard Boyes of Hawkhurst, Kent, d.1605.
The manor of Hanley had come to the Crown in 1478, and new people begin to appear in Hanley who were Crown appointees, such as Richard Frewen, and the Baughs, who appear in close proximity in a succession of land deeds, suggestive of a relationship based on intermarriage.
1. Remise and quitclaim by James Walwen, yeoman of the Crown and Agnes his wife, for themselves and their heirs in perpetuity. To Roger Frewyn of Forthey, Richard Trigge, William Baugh, William Hanley, John Frewen of Northend, John Baugh, Roger Frewen of Church End, Richard Lechemar, William Seerde, John Cavull and John Grove of Besford, their heirs and assigns, of all possible right and claim in one messuage with a garden adjoining in Hanley, with appurtenances, between the land of William Baron and the king’s highway, recently in the tenure of Hugh Penrice, and of all their lands and tenements in Northfield in Hanley Worc. Arch.705:134/1531/76/94. 18 September 1487.
2. Charter of William Hanley, county Worcester. Giving to Henry Chambur gentleman, Roger Frewen of Forthey, John Baugh, Thomas Lechemer, William Frewen and Henry Hanley all his messuages, lands and tenements, with all appurtenances, in the lordship of Hanley, namely his messuage in Southend, lying in length between the land of William Harper on the south and that of the said William Hanley on the north, and in breadth from the field called Westfield on the west to the king’s highway. Witnesses: John Cavull, Edward Bawgh, Amphrey Hundie, John Grove, William Stokes and many others. Worc. Arch. 705:134/1531/77/19. 30 November 1508.
3. Lease and demise by Edward Baughe, Richard Frewen, John Lawton, Edward Cavull and Thomas Frewen of Ombersley. To Roger Frewen, Eleanor his wife and William their son of a meadow called Oughley, with appurtenances, lying in Hanley next to Severn Meadow. Worc. Arch. 705:134/1531/77/22. 1510-1520.
4. Confirmation of delivery of property held in trust by John Baugh, John Hylle, Edward Bawgh, William Frewen and Edward Cavull. To Roger Frewen of Forthey and Elizabeth his wife: whereas Roger Frewen of Forthey in the parish of Hanley, by a charter dated at Hanley on 29 August 1504, had granted to [the five trustees] all his lands and tenements, rents, reversions, services, hereditaments and possessions with all appurtenances lying in the lordship and fee of Hanley, to be held to them, their heirs and assigns, in perpetuity, of the chief lord of the fee by the services due from the property and lawfully accustomed, for the use and benefit of the said Roger Frewyn during his life, in accordance with his will. Worc. Arch. 705:134/1531/77/25. 26 January 1513.
5. Remise and quitclaim by Richard Robyns, perpetual vicar of Great Malvern, Edward Cavyll senior and Roger Benet, for themselves and their heirs. To Thomas Lechmere senior and Eleanor his wife, of all possible right and claim in a parcel of meadow which they recently had among other property of the gift and feoffment of Roger Wodman. Witnesses: Roger Frewen, John Grove, Edward Baughe, William Badgere, Thomas Garde. Seal: red wax (1) device of a pentagon in a circle, with radii; (2) device of a six point star; (3) device of a fleur de lys in a rectangular frame. Worc. Arch. 705:134/1531/77/29. 29 April 1516.
6. Charter of Richard Frewen, son and heir of Roger Frewen, recently of Fortehey in the parish of Hanley, county Worcester, deceased. Giving to Thomas Lechmer senior and Eleanor his wife one acre of arable land, with a certain parcel of meadow adjoining on the west, in a meadow called Uddemedewe lying in the field called Northfield in a place called Le Cokshoote in the parish of Hanley;and also a parcel of meadow lying in Severn Meadow, beyond the stream … between the meadow of Edward Baugh junior on the south and that of the said Thomas Lechmer on the north; all of which recently belonged to Roger Frewen, father of the said Richard. Worc. Arch 705:134/1531/77/46. 24 May 1525.
7. Lease by John Knottesford, William Pynnocke esquire, Edward Baughe, Richard Lechmar gentleman, and Roger Frewen and Thomas Frewen yeomen. To Humphrey Hadon of Hanley Castle, one of the yeomen of the guard of the king’s chamber, of their tenement in Church End in Hanley, with a close adjoining, in which the said Humphrey Hadon now dwells; and also one and a half acres of arable land lying in Westfield under the hedge of the said close, and a parcel of meadow in Severn Meadow against the red clyffe. Worc. Arch. 705:134/1531/77/70. July 18 1547.
This last named Edward Baugh is probably he with whom the ‘Visitation’ pedigree commences:
1. Edward Baugh of Twining, Glocuestershire, deceased before January 19, 1571, m. Margaret Stratford. d. 1589, da. of John Stratford, of Farnecott, and Margaret de Tracy, da. of Sir William de Tracy (grandson of Thomas Throckmorton, of Caughton) and Ann Digby.
1.1. Rowland Baugh, of Twining, m. Mary Crooker, of Hook Norton, Oxon.
22.214.171.124. Thomas Baugh, noted as being in Virginia in 1634.
126.96.36.199. John Baugh, m. Eleonor Copely, da. of Thomas Copely, of Bredon’s Norton.
1.1.3. William Baugh (s.l. 1634), m. Mary Wakeman, da. of William Wakeman, of Glouc.
188.8.131.52. William Baugh; br. of Edward and John Baugh. On 16 January 16, 1668, he received a headright grant of 577 acres, for the transportation of 12 persons, including his son, William Baugh, Jr., on the north side of the Appomattox River, near Ashton’s Creek.
184.108.40.206.1. William Baugh, m. Jane Hatcher, da. of William Hatcher Jr., and sister of Henry Hatcher, father of Mary (Hatcher) Tanner. His death is shown by an Orphan’s Court record of August 1678, in which Abell Gower (third husband of Jane Hatcher) gives an account of cattle belonging to his step-children, Mary and Priscilla Baugh, orphans of Mr. William Baugh Jr., deceased, and of William and John Branch, orphans of Mr. William Branch, deceased (1st husband of Jane Hatcher).
In April 1681, William Baugh, Sr., gentleman of Henrico, made a deed conferring to his grandda., Priscilla Baugh, now the wife of William Farrar, a tract of land which he had, in 1668, given to his grandson, William Baugh (III), and in 1674 to said Priscilla. William Farrar was the brother of Thomas Farrer, who m. (1) Mary Ligon, born 1663, da. of Thomas Ligon and Mary (Harris) Ligon. He m. (2) Katherine Perrin, on November 20, 1686, in Henrico Co., da. of Richard Perrin and Katherine Royal, who was born in 1667, in Henrico County, and died after May 16, 1748, in Goochland County. (Dates as microfilmed copies of Virginia State Library original documents).
1.1.4. Rowland Baugh, m. Judith, da. of Richard Allison, of London. His grandda. Judith Baugh (s.l. 1682), m. (1668) Charles Hancock of Playstow & Twining, b. March 13, 1643, s.l. 1682; 2nd s. of William Hancock of Bredon’s Norton, Worcs., sheriff, Worcs. 1665, being o. s. by his 2nd w. Catherine Mayle of Tewkesbury. Judith Baugh, obit. 1728, was the da. and coh. of Richard Baugh of Twining. Thomas Copley, jun., who sold the manor of Hall Court, in 1649, to William Hancock, sen., and William Hancock, jun. William Hancock, who dealt with the manor of Hall Court in 1678–9, was son of the younger William.
George Alvis was mentioned in the Henrico County Court, on February 1, 1682, as the plaintiff in a suit against Henry Watkins for the balance of an account apparently due to George’s wife. Watkins was ordered to pay. George Alvis also complained in the same court against Mr. Richard Ligon for failing in his duty to the orphan, William Harris. Henry Watkins died in ‘Malvern Hills’, Henrico Co., in 1714. His family probably originated from Bredon’s Norton, overlooking the Malvern Hills, where a family of Hancock were established.
The Bishop’s Transcripts for Bredon include earlier notices of the Watkins and Hancocke families: 1609, ‘Rowland Hancocke the sonne of Rowland Hancocke bapt’; November 20, 1610, ‘Thomas Watkins sonne to Richard Watkins of Norton buried’; January 27, 1611, ‘Robert Hancocke buried’; ‘Año dni 1611, William Hancocke sonne to Rowland Hancocke buryed, Margaret Hancocke daughter to Rowland Hancocke buryed’.
1.2. John Baugh of Aldencourte (Aldon Court, Shropshire) m. Joanne Dale, da. of John Dale of Langtoll. The Baugh arms and crest were confirmed by Cooke, Clarenceux, in 1579, to Rowland Baugh of Twining, co. Gloucestershire, and Bredon’s Norton, Worcestershire. They were confirmed to the Aldon Court family in 1588, who were a junor branch of this family. 1.2.1. Thomas Baugh of Aldencourte m. Dorothy Parkes, da. of George Parkes of Bromfield. ‘1598 Jan. 11. Thomas Baugh … sep.’. 220.127.116.11. Henry Baugh of Aldencourte: ‘1578 Sep. 14. Henricus Baugh fs Thomas Baughe … bap.’; (fl. 1623) m. Alice Holland (d. 1662, da. of Francis Holland of Burwarton, who was the br. of Thomas Holland, who m. Alice Cocke, aunt of Richard Cocke of Bremo, obit. 1665. Thomas Holland and Alice Cocke had issue, Alice Holland, who m., in 1632, Thomas Harris, Esq., of Prescot, as follows. 18.104.22.168.1. Henry Baugh. 22.214.171.124.1.1. John Baugh: ‘1608 Aug. 30. Johannes Baughe fs Henrici Baugh … bap.’. 126.96.36.199.1.1.1. William Baugh: Baugh v Jenckes. Plaintiffs: William Baugh. Defendants: George Jenckes, Sarah Jenckes his wife, Mary Price widow and Edward Moscott. Subject: personal estate of the deceased John Baugh, of Alden, Shropshire. C 6/70/9. 1671.
Given the connection between this branch of the Baugh family and the Cockes of Pickthorne, this William Baugh was probably the William Baugh who held land next to Major William Harris, on ‘Ware Run’. The specific location of ‘Ware Run’ is give in Richard Womack’s grant: ‘Now know yee that I ye sd Sir Will Berkeley knt. give and graunt unto Richard Womack foure hundred and fivety acres, three rood eight po: of land on ye North side of Appomatock River in Henrico Cout extending as ffolloweth beginning at a small branch of ye Ashen Swampe and running along ye Swampe So: by Ea: 220 po: over a small branch to a Pokicory No: Ea: over ye same branch 26 po: then up ye branch No: Ea: by Ea: 94 po Ea: by No: along ye branch to ye head of it 102 po So: So: Ea: 22 po: to John Puckett his line (his da. m. Richard Womack Jr.) No: Ea: b Ea 54 po: No: Ea: by No: 130 po: to ye head of ye Spring Run No: Ea: by Ea: 56 po: No: by We: 34 po: No: We: 60 po: to Mr. Baugh his line neigh ye Round Slash No: No: We: 15 po: to Major Harris his cornor We: by So: 380 po: to ye place aforementioned the sd land being due unto ye sd Richard Womack by and for ye transportacon of nine persons into this Collony’. ‘Dated March 15, 1672. He would have emigrated to Virginia after his father’s death in 1671; his father probably being the John Baugh who is mentioned in Henrico Co. records in 1637, when he assigned ‘rights and title’ to land north of the James River, patented to him in 1636, to William Cooke and Richard Carpenter. They subsequently sold this land to planters John Davis and Robert Craddock. (See as follows).
188.8.131.52.1.2. Maria Baugh: ‘1617 Feb. 16. Maria fa Henrici Baughe … bap.’.
184.108.40.206.1.3. Margaret Baugh: ‘1620 Apr. 23. Margareta fa Henrici Baugh … bap.’
220.127.116.11.2. Thomas Baugh.
18.104.22.168.2.1. Thomas Baugh: 1614 May 22. Thomas fs Thome Baugh … bap.
22.214.171.124.2.2. Alicia Baugh: ‘1616 Feb. 28. Alicia fa Thome Baughe … bap.
126.96.36.199.2.3. Richard Baugh: ‘1618 Aug. 2. Richardus fs Thome Baughe … bap.’.
188.8.131.52.2. William Baugh: ‘1587 Jan. 28. Willimus fs Thomas Baugh … bap.’.
184.108.40.206.2.1. John Baugh: ‘1611 Nov. 10. Johannes fs Will’mi Baughe … bap.’.
220.127.116.11. William Baugh.
18.104.22.168.1. William Baugh: ‘1601 Jan. 6. Willms. fs Will’mi Baughe … bap.’.
22.214.171.124.2. Thomas Baugh: ‘1603 Sep. 11. Thomas fs Will’mi Baughe … bap.’. ‘1611 Aug. 25. Thomas Baughe … sep.’.
126.96.36.199.3. Anna Baugh: ‘1607 July 14. Anna fa Willmi Baughe … bap.’.
188.8.131.52.4. Alicia Baugh ‘1611 Nov. 26. Alicia fa Will’mi Baughe … bap.’.
1.2.2. William Baugh of Aldencourte.
184.108.40.206. Charles Baugh: ‘1580 Jan. 22. Charolus fs Willimi Baughe … bap.’. He was stll living in 1629,see Shropshire Archives 2589/D/58.
220.127.116.11.1. Margaret Baugh: ‘Margaret, da. of Charles Bough‘ (Baugh), b. January 24, 1613, St. Lawrence, Ludlow. She m. John Harris of that parish:
1. John Harris of Cruckton, Pontesbury (bur. Apr. 12, 1614), burgess of Shrewsbury, m. Eleanor Prowde, dau. of Thomas Prowde, of Sutton, Shropshire.
1.1. Rowland Harris.’1595. Sep. 14. Rowland Harris & Jane Langford’. After his death, in 1605, she m. Edward Lewis of Sutton Magna, Shropshire, and was the mother of William Lewis, m. (Aug. 21, 1634) Anne Lutley, of Burwarton, Shropshire, da. of Robert Lutley and Mary Holland, da. of Francis Holland, b. 1544, in Burwarton, Shropshire, br. of Thomas Holland, who m. Alicia, ‘fil. Thomas Cocke of Pickthorne’.
Edward Lewis was the step-father of Thomas and John Harris, as appears thus: ‘Harries v Heath. Plaintiffs: Thomas Harries an infant, by his guardian and Edward Lewis. Defendants: Richard Heath and Edward Powis. Subject: messuage in Ludlow, Shropshire. Pleadings: 1603-1625. S.A., C 2/JasI/H5/38. Richard Heath and Edward Powis were burgesses of Ludlow, representing that corporation. The guardian of Thomas Harries was very likely to have been his grandfather, Thomas Langford.
If William Lewis, husband of Elizabeth Woodson, was of the aforementioned family of Lewis, much about tenurial associations in Virginia would be readily understood. According to his deposition, Robert Woodson was born in 1634. He married Elizabeth, dau. of Richard Ferris. A grant of land, of October 21, 1687, was made to ‘Mr. Robert Woodson, Mr. Richard Ferris, Mr. Giles Carter, William Ferris and Roger Comins for 1785 acres, at White Oak Swamp, on the north side of the James River, in the Parish of Varina. In 1707, Robert Woodson, Sr., of Henrico, made a deed to his grandsons William and Joseph Lewis, children of his da., Elizabeth Woodson, and William Lewis.
Thomas Lewis, aged 23 in 1623, step-brother of John Harris, b. 1604, is most likely recorded here: Hannah Boyse, da. and heir of Luke Boyse, late of Henrico, decd., patented in Nov., 1635, 300 acres in Henrico adjoining land of her mother Alice Edlowe; due 50 acres for her personal adventure and 50 acres for the personal adventure of her father, and 200 acres for transportation of servants, viz.: ‘Thomas Lewis, Robert Hollum, Joseph Royall, Edward Holland, and Oliver Allen’ (Virginia Magazine, v., p. 97).
John Price would have been well known to both the Cocke family of Pickthorne, and to their kin, the Harris family of St Lawrence, Ludlow; he being baptised in the same parish: ‘1584, Nov. 10. John, s. William Preece’: Muster of the inhabitants of the Corporation of Charles Citee, Feb. 24, 1624. Muster of John Price: John aged 40, ship Starr in May, 1620. Ann his wife aged 21, ship Francis Bonaventure in August, 1620. Mary, a child, 3 months’ (Hottens Original List, p. 203). Two years later, in 1626, John Price owned 100 acres of land at or near the falls of James river. (Virginia Historical Magazine, ed. William G. Stanard, No. 15, p. 363). May 23, 1638: Patent granted Matthew Price as son and heir of John Price for 150 acres on Turkey Island Creek in Henrico Co. ‘granted by patent to his late father John Price, now in possession of his mother, Ann Hallom, Widow – being due unto him in right of his father who had a patent granted 20 Feb. 1619 (PB 1, part 2, p. 558). John Price m. 1. Elizabeth Matthews: ‘1613 May 30. John Prees & Elizabeth Matthews, widow’ ; 2. Anne …, who m. 2. Robert Hallom.
1.1.1. Thomas Harris, bapt. September 4, 1603, in St. Lawrence, Ludlow. He was the second son of Rowland Harris of that name; his namesake (d. inf.) was bapt. Jun. 26, 1597.
18.104.22.168. Thomas Harris: ‘1627 July 24. Thomas, s. Thomas Harris & Alice’.
1.1.2. John Harris. ‘1604. Mar. 5. John, s. Rowland Harris bapt.’; m. Margaret Baugh.
22.214.171.124. Mary Harris: ‘Apr. 3. 1625. Mary, d. John Harris & Margaret’. In 1689, Mary (Harris) Ligon gave a deposition stating her age to be 64.
126.96.36.199. William Harris, ‘January 13, 1627, William s. of John Harris and Margaret’ … That is, January 1627/8, a date commonly given as the year of birth of Major William Harris. This William Harris does not appear in the burial notices of 1643-1668.
1.2. Arthur Harris, m. Jane Newton, of Prescot, Shropshire.
1.2.1. Thomas Harris, Esq., of Prescot, m. (1632), Alice Holland, da. of William Holland, bapt. (1674) at Burwarton, and buried there in 1642 (Will proved P.C.C. 94 Campbell), son of Thomas Holland, bur. (1612) at Stottesden, and Alicia, ‘fil. Thomas Cocke of Pickthorne’ (Will pr. P.C.C. 19 Capell, 1613); styled ‘of Pickthorne’, aunt of Richard Cocke, b. 1597, in Pickthorne, Stottesdon, Shropshire; bapt. December 13, 1597 at Sidbury, Shropshire; obit. Bremo Bluff, Henrico, 1665.
1.3. Richard Harris, obit. 1631, m. Anna Smallman, obit. 1650, da. of Thomas Smallman of Wilderhope.
1.3.1. Mary Harris, Lady Dormer, m. (in 1673, as second wife), Fleetwood Dormer, b. May 21, 1616, bapt. at Quainton, Buckinghamshire, later of Arle Court, died aged 81, August 27, 1696. Fleetwood Dormer was the son of Sir Fleetwood Dormer, of Shipton Lee, Buckinghamshire (obit. February 1, 1638), and Mary Isham, da. of Sir Euseby Isham, of Braunston. The said Sir Fleetwood Dormer was the son of Peter Dormer, of Shipton Lee, obit. December 3, 1583. Mary Isham was the aunt of Henry Isham, who resided at Bermuda Hundred, Henrico Co., who m. Katherine Banks, relict of Joseph Royal; their issue being: 1. Henry Isham (obit. 1678), 2. Anne Isham, who m. Col. Francis Eppes, 3. Mary Isham, who m. Col. William Randolph, named as a ‘friend’ in the Will of Major William Harris, as was a son of Richard Cocke. Fleetwood Dormer’s first wife was Katherine Ligon, second-cousin of Thomas Ligon, whose son and namesake married Mary Harris, b. 1625.
The Ligons had a presence in Shropshire:
1.Richard Ligon, m. Margaret Greville. 1.1. William Ligon, m. Eleanor Dennys. 1.1.1. Richard Ligon, m. (1) Mary, dau. of Sir Thomas Russell. 188.8.131.52. William Ligon, m. Elizabeth Harwell, dau. of Edward Harwell of Besford. 184.108.40.206.1. William Ligon, the younger, of Madresfield, m. Elizabeth, da. and coheiress of John Pleydell, Esq. 220.127.116.11.1.1. Margaret Ligon, b. 1614, m. Thomas Moore, son of Richard More of Linley and Larden, d. 1643, Sheriff Shrop. 1619, and Sarah Harris, sister of Sir Thomas Harris, Bart of Boreatton. 1.1.1. Richard Ligon, m. (2) Margaret, da. of Sir John Talbot, of Salwerpe and Grafton. 18.104.22.168. John Ligon, of Arle, co. Gloucester, b. 1581, d. Sept. 21, 1644, m. his cous., Elizabeth Ligon, dau. of Arnold Lygon. 22.214.171.124.1. Katharine Ligon, m. Fleetwood Dormer, Esq. He m.(2) Mary Harris, niece of Rowland Harris, and first-cousin of Thomas Harris and John Harris. 1.1.2. Thomas Ligon, m. Frances Dennys (cousin). 126.96.36.199. Thomas Ligon, m. Oct. 10, 1602, Elizabeth Pratt. 188.8.131.52.1. Col. Thomas Ligon, m. Mary Harris.
The Harris and Langford families continued their association in Virginia:
1. Richard Langford, obit. 1580. 1.1. Thomas Langford, attorney of the Foxe family. 184.108.40.206. Jane Langford, bapt. Oct. 10, 1567, m. (Sept. 14, 1595) Rowland Harris of Ludlow, d. 1605. 220.127.116.11. John Harris, m. Margaret Baugh. 18.104.22.168.1. Mary Harris, b. 1625. 22.214.171.124.2. Major William Harris, b. 1627/8. 126.96.36.199. Thomas Langford. 188.8.131.52.1. William Langford, m. Jane Jordan.* 184.108.40.206.1.1. Thomas Langford, of New Kent County, Virginia, who appears in this land grant: ‘Robinson, John. September 22, 1682. New Kent County. granted 1,252 acres on the Dragon Swamp and branches thereof. Beginning &c. belonging to the land of Thomas Langford; thence &c. over certain branches of Arracxicoe to a Corner Red Oak by the Mill Path’.
* Deed declaring the use of a fine levied by Edward Lutwyche: ‘1. Edward Lutwyche of Lutwyche, Esq. 2. William Jurden of Felhampton, Thomas Langford of Stone Acton. 3. Edward Jurden of Wooston. Whereas Edward Lutwyche by deed of 30 April 5 Charles I (1629) demised to William Jurden a messuage in Stone Acton and buildings and lands, then or late in the tenure of John Worde (Ward), John Fox and common of pasture for all manner of cattle belonging to the premises. To hold to William Jurden for 99 years if Richard Jurden and Edward Jurden, sons of William Jurden and Jane, daughter of William, so long live at the yearly rent of £4. Whereas Edward Lutwyche by deed of 10 July 21 James I (1623) demised to Thomas Langford, Alice his wife and William their son a house in Stone Acton with buildings and lands belonging in Stone Acton, and common of pasture there. To Thomas Langford, Alice and William for their lives at the rents specified. December 27, 1632′ (Shropshire Archives, reference 5001/4/1/4).
The Jurden family were also tenants of the Cressets, and this brought an association to the family of Richard Cocke of Bremo, as here shown: Thomas Holland, m. Alicia, ‘fil. Thomas Cocke of Pickthorne.’ Richard Cocke of Bremo was baptised in Sidbury, Shropshire, on Dec. 13, 1597; the son of Thomas Cocke of Pickthorn. One of Richard’s sons, Col. Thomas Cocke, ‘friend’ of Major William Harris, named his home ‘Pickthorne Farms’. Thomas Holland’s br., George Holland of Purslow, m. Cecilia Lutley, da. of Adam Lutley of Bromcroft, by his wife, Elizabeth Cresset, da. of Robert Cressett, son of Richard Cressett of Upton Cressett, near Bridgnorth, Shropshire, and Jane Wrottesley, da. of Richard Wrottesley, Esq., Sheriff of Staffordshire, and Dorothy Sutton. Adam Lutley’s sister was Joyce Lutley, who m. John Holland., b. 1535; he being John Holland Sr., enfeoffed in Lamberburst, Kent, ancestor of Michael Holland of Goochland (1. John Holland the elder of Lamberhurst (1535-1614) m. Joyce Lutley, 1.1. John Holland the younger of Lamberhurst (d. 1610) m. Mary Barham, 1.1.3. David Holland, merchant (bap. April 26, 1610 Lamberhurst – bur. 22 April 1567, Wadhurst) m. Anne Burton, da. of Thomas Burton and Mary Butcher. 220.127.116.11. John Holland (exec. of his father’s will pr. 17 May 1675; also leased a almshouse at Riseden, Oct. 1654; see National Archives PAR498/37/14), who almost certainly was John Holland of Nansemond, father of Michael Holland of Goochland.
It can be noted that stone Acton was the habitation of a family of Fleming, as evidenced in these court cases: ‘Fleming v Haberley. Plaintiffs: Henry Fleming. Defendants: Edward Haberly. Subject: property in Stone Acton, Shropshire. 1649 (49). Fleming v Wrednall. Plaintiffs: Helen Fleming widow and John Fleming. Defendants: Anne Wrednall widow and others. Subject: property in Stone Acton, Shropshire. 1658′ (Shropshire Archives, reference C 5/482/9).
This Samuel Jordan was likely to be of the same family of Shropshire Jordans: Will of Samuel Jordan of New Kent County Virginia, written October 2, 1718 & probated June 11, 1719 – ‘being weak of body … It is my will that my beloved friend John Fleming have the plantation of Thomas Langford, dec’d & the management of his estate & the bringing up of his son Thomas Langford as wholely to himself … executors wife Elizabeth (Fleming), friends Charles Fleming, John Fleming, Tarlton Woodson, and Thomas Pleasants’.
The lands of Thomas Langford, deceased, were determined in a report dated February 26, 1731 – ‘the line between Wm Bird esq. & Alex Cock cannot be found, Edward Hundley present for Wm Bird, present Henry Hix for Mr. Sam’l Welden, Daniel Patrick, William Harris, Jr. … William Ford hath got ye Lands of Langford’s Orphans’.
Samuel Jordan was married to Elizabeth Fleming: ‘Quaker Marriage Certificate of Samuel Jordan of Nansemond County, VA, and Elizabeth Fleming, daughter of Charles Fleming of New Kent County, VA, married at the home of William Porter, Jr.’. Another Quaker marriage record is that of the said Thomas Langford Sr. and Martha West, daughter of Giles West, on 28 Feb. 1700, ‘at the home of the aforesaid people’ in New Kent Co. Groom and bride were both from New Kent County. Attending were Christopher Clark and Elizabeth Clark, Michael Johnson, and Sarah Johnson, Thomas Stanley, Charles Fleming, Rice Hughes, Robert Hughes, Sarah Hughes, and Susannah Fleming’.
William Harris Jr. was almost certainly the son of Major William Harris, recorded, as his brother, Thomas, with their step-father, George Alves: ‘The lands of Mr. Geo Alves, Nicho. Gentry, Chris Cawthorn, Mr. John Sym & Will’m Harris, Sam’l Gentry, of which Mr. Geo. Alves & Nicho. Gentry were Overseers, who made this return, the within Order comply’d with, by the persons Within namd, or their Order. Geo. Alves, Nicho. Gentry’. ‘The Lands of Mr. Geo Alves, Thos. Harris, Geo. Harris, Rich’d Clough, Geo. Dabney Junr., John Crenshaw & David Crenshaw, of which Mr. Geo Alves and Thos. Harris were Overseers who made this return, the above Order perform’d. Geo. Alves, Tho. Harris’ (Tyler’s Quarterly Hist. & Gen. Magazine, vol. 20, January 20, 1939).
Major William Harris was associated with these Rabons:
Richard Cocke of Bremo was born at Sidbury, Shropshire, which is near the Staffordshire border. The leading families of Sidbury, the Purslowes and Cresswells were landowners in Staffordhire, and it seems very likely that they shared this distinction with Richard Cocke, uncle of Richard Cocke of Bremo. It was probably he who was designated ‘Richard Cocke of Stafford‘ in Treswell’s Visitation of Shropshire, 1623. This seems the more likely in that his da., Joane Cocke, born c. 1595, m. John Rabon. The Rabons were an established Shropshire family. Thomas Rabon’s dau., Dorothy, was baptised on October 9, 1654, at Saint Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth. The deanery of Bridgnorth is bounded by the county of Stafford on the east. These Rabons are also recorded in the following deed: ‘August 1, 1632. William Rabon s. of Ralphe Rabon of Wem co. Salop miller to Tho’ Maddox departed’ (Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, vol 4, p. 234, 1881).
Major William Harris made his Will on April 20, 1678: ‘Not knowing what the Lord hath ordained or at what tyme he he may take … out this life I doe settle my estate of lands as followeth, I give & bequeath to my sonne Thomas all my land below the Ware to keep the Ware runn for his Bounds till he shall come to ye spring at ye hed & then to follow a bottom on ye lower side of the clearing of John Rabon‘.
18.104.22.168. Thomas Baugh, fl. 1634. ‘1573 May 3. Thomas fs Will’mi Baughe … bap.’.
22.214.171.124. Elizabeth Baugh: ‘1579 May 17. Elizabeth fa Willm. Baughe … bap.’.
126.96.36.199. Sibilla Baugh: ‘1582 Mar. 3. Sibilla Baughe fa Willimi Baugh … bap.’.
188.8.131.52. Richard Baugh: ‘1584 Jan. 10. Richardus fs Willms. Baughe … bap.’.
1.2.3. Agneta Baugh: ‘1575 Feb. 18. Carolus Heath et Agneta Baughe … conj.’.
1.2.4. Alicia Baugh: ‘1569 Jan. 21. Thomas Davis et Alicia Baughe … ducti.’.
184.108.40.206. Alicia Baugh: ‘1594 Sep. 17. James Lewys et Alicia Baughe … matr.’.
1.2.3. John Baugh.
220.127.116.11. Johanna Baugh: ‘1585 Apr. 18. Jana fa Johannis Baughe … bap.’. ‘1604 Oct. 30. Thomas Boore et Jana Baughe … matr.’.
18.104.22.168. Anna Baugh: ‘1589 Mar. 15. Anna fa Johannis Baughe … bap.’. ‘1593 May 11. Johanna Baugh uxor Johannis Baughe … sep.’.
Captain Thomas Harris died without issue:
The curls in the James River made the description of the location of a patent confusing. At a basic level, plantations were north or south of the river, but the curls made for a close east/west relationship between them. For instance, take the first grant of land to a Thomas Harris on the south side of the James River, of 750 acs., at Neck of land, within Diggs his hundred (later Bermuda Hundred), dated Nov. 11, 1635; on July, 12, 1637, it is described in a repatent as S. E. towards Bremoes devident (north side of the river). 0n Feb. 25, 1638, it is again described as E.S.E. into the woods towards Bremo, 100 acs. for his own per. adv., 100 acs. for the per. adv. of his first wife Adry Harris, as being Ancient Planters, & 620 acs. for trans. of 13 pers. (Adry Harris was not an ancient planter; an explanatory supposition would be that she had married one before marrying Thomas Harris).
The plantation of Thomas Harris was ‘Called by the name of the Long feild’ (July 12, 1637), which was also called ‘Curles’, after its locality on the curles of the James River. In an analogical sense this is synonomous with someone from Southwark describing themselves as of London, of which Southwark was a part. ‘Curles’ was a geographical term applied to plantations within this general area. There were two plantations specifically called Longfield within this area.
This has led to much confusion. On 15 August 1637, 300 ac. north of the river, were acquired by Robert Craddock and John Davis, which had been assigned by ‘Jno. Baugh of Varina planter to Wm. Cooke & Richd. Carpenter, 13 June 1636, and by them assigned to Jno. Davis & Robt Craddocke of Harihatoxs planters 29 July 1637′(B. 1. pp. 451, 452). John Davis also called his land Longfield, a common enough English practice concerning long strips of land.
John Burton took out a patent for 700 acres in Henrico on the ‘long field’ beside Cornelius Creek in Lily Valley, about 7 miles from the present city of Richmond, VA. On 22 March 1665: Jno. Burton, 700 acs. Henrico Co., p. 479, (585). 300 acs. Nly. on a great swamp, Sly. towards land of Alice Edlowe, Widdow, Wly. over the river & Ely. into the woods, called by the name of the old feild; 300 acs. another parte joyning on the head of the ‘Long feild pattent’, beg. at a white oake marked 4 wayes at the extent of the deviding line of Jno. Burton & Jno. Davies running along the greate slash S.E. by S. & c. 600 acs. granted to Rob. Craddock & by Hoel Prise, his Atty., should unto Jno. Cox, who assigned to sd. Burton, & 100 acs. due for trans. of 2 pers. Thus, John Burton became known as ‘John Burton of (this) Longfield‘; the locale of which is shown in the Perrin patent: ‘Richard Perrin, 740 a., 1 R., 24 P., Henrico Co., N. side James Riv., 13 May 1673, p. 445. 474 acs. called the ‘Worlds End’; from John Burton’s house down the riv. 12 poles below Cornelius’ Cr., granted to Capt. Mathew Edloe 2 Oct. 1656 & sould to sd. Perrin; 266 A., 1 R., 24 P. at the head &c. Trans. of 5 pers’.
William Randolph purchased, from the colonial government, the escheated lands of Nathaniel Bacon in this locale, as shown in this deed: ‘Richard Ligon, of Bristol Parish, Henrico Co., is indebted to William Ligon, of Henrico Parish, Henrico Co., and bound for 200 pounds 1 Nov 1707 … The condition is that there is a parcel of land on north side of James River, between plantation called ‘Curles’ belonging to Col. William Randolph, and plantation of John Woodson where he lives, containing 200 acres left to Mary Ligon by her father Capt. Thomas Harris, dec’d.’ (B. 4, p. 4). This land, on Curles Swamp, was adjacent to that of Major William Harris: Henrico Co Wills & Dds. 1688-1697, p. 386: ‘John Woodson, Sr. of Henrico Co to Edward Lester, land next to Richard Cocke, next to land formerly William Harris’s on Curles Swamp, next to land given by Thomas Harris to his da. Mary Lygon’.
Neither Major William Harris nor Mary (Harris) Lygon were heirs to either of the Longfield plantations.
The Burtons continued to be involved in land transactions on the north side of the James River: Henrico Co. Wills & Deeds, 1744-1748, p. 262, 4 May 1747, John Pleasants of county & Parish of Henrico, to Benjamin Burton of same for … , 100 acres on north side James R. purchased by Richard Leavins of Michael Turpin and by Leavins mortgaged to Pleasants; bounded by Cornelius Swamp, John West, Whitles Path and said Burton. Wit: John Povall, William Porter, Jr., Richard Pleasants. Signed: John Pleasants. Henrico Co. Will B. 6, p. 1777, Will of Benjamin Burton of Henrico Parish: To son John, and son Jesse, land I live on 300 acres, divided between them on line from Col. William Randolph to Col. Eppes’ line. Wife Elizabeth to have possession of land for life. Also to James & Jesse, 300 acres on White Oak Swamp, being the lower part of a tract of 400 acres’.
The confusion surrounding the Captain Thomas Harris narrative is compounded by the Broadnax versus Soane case of 1700, the purpose of which is commonly described in an abbreviated form: ‘to establish the boundaries of Longfield’, without adding that it was a Crown property, and that the case was adjudicated by the Crown so as to clarify a grant of it at the usual rate per acre. This is the verbatim account of the judgement: (The crown) ‘hereby grants unto him (Broadnax) by patent this seventh day of May 1700, which patent is granted which appears a former patent granted with Thomas Harris being dated that of 25th day of February 1638, that the said being now called Curls, formerly Longfield‘. This is not Bacon and Randolph’s Curles Swamp lands. The two Longfields have been confounded; deliberately so by yarn-spinners, yet innocently perpetuated by those that believed them.
Moreso, the Crown was granting this land as an escheat, its last owner having died without issue. In Virginia, in the absence of heirs, land escheated to the Crown, which was determined by a Jury of Escheat, and it is certain that the judgement of 1700 referred to an escheat jury verdict. William Broadnax’s boundaries were given as those pertaining in 1638: ‘Thomas Harris, 820 acs. comonly known by the name of the Long feild, Henrico Co., 25 Feb. 1638, p. 615.
Countless escheat juries gave verdict that the last owner of a tract of land is found ‘to have no heire in the country, we give verdict that the … acres doth escheate’.
Thus it was with Captain Thomas Harris.
The entire narrative of Major William Harris being a son of Captain Thomas Harris (assumed to be an ancient planter) is akin to jigsaw pieces being forced to fit into spaces they do not belong. It is superfluous to add that Mary (Harris) Ligon naming her land as a gift of her father ‘Captain Thomas Harris’ should be viewed in the context of false claims concerning land grants; her son was suspended from his office as surveyor for making such claims.
copyright m stanhope 2016
MAJOR WILLIAM HARRIS AND THE LORDS OF CHIRK
In what follows, I have followed the notes of eminent antiquarians, though not without question, as some genealogies of this time confound one generation with another. This said, I believe the following to be a reasonable outline of the ancestry of Major William Harris.
1. Tudor ap Rhys, fl. 1078-1086 (Bartrum, Welsh Genealogies 300-1400, vol. 12, p. 871). Domesday tenant of Roger de Montgomery in Whittington and the Marches of Wales, paying a rent of of four pounds, five shillings (J. Morris, Shropshire Genealogies, vol. 7, p. 3612). He m. Jane ferch Rhys “Fychan”, dau. of Rhys “Fychan” ap Rhys, of Llanymddyfri, Llandingad, Carmarthenshire.
2. Bleddyn ap Tudur, Lord of Chirk, Nantheudwy, and Maelor Saesneg, m. Annes ferch Llywelyn, dau. of Llywelyn ap Idnerth.
3. Owain ap Bleddyn, Lord of Chirk, Nantheudwy, and Maelor Saesneg, m. Efa ferch Madog “Gôch”, dau. of Madog “Gôch” ap Iorwerth “Gôch”, lord of Sutton.
4. Iorwerth “Yr Hên” ap Owain “Yr Hên”, seneschal to Madog ap Gruffudd, m. Angharad ferch Gruffudd, dau. of Gruffudd ap Meilir “Eutun”, of Eyton, Erbistog, Denbighshire (Bartrum, Welsh Genealogies 300-1400, vol. 12, p. 878).
5. Iorwerth “Foel” ap Iorwerth “Fychan”, lord of Chirk, Maelor Saesneg and Nanheudwy, granted lands by Roger Mortimer, Lord of Chirk, in the townships of Gwen Osbern and Pen-y-Clawdd (Lloyd, History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher and the Ancient Nobility of Powys Fadog, vol. 4, p. 190); m. Gwladus ferch Iorwerth, of Fron-goch, Llanymynech, Shropshire.
6. Ednyfed “Gam” ap Iorwerth “Foel”, m. Gwladus ferch Llywelyn, of Tegeingl cantref, Flintshire, dau. of Llywelyn ap Madog.
7. Iorwerth “Ddû” ap Ednyfed “Gam”, fl. 1332, m. Angharad ferch Adda “Gôch”, of Trefor, Llangollen, Denbighshire (Bartrum, Welsh Genealogies 300-1400, vol. 12, p. 882), dau. of Adda “Gôch” ab Ieuaf, of Traean Trefor, Llangollen, one of the witnesses to the Charter of Richard Arundel, Earl of Arundel, and Lord of Chirk, in 1356. (Lloyd, History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher and the Ancient Nobility of Powys Fadog, vol. 4 p. 109, 137).
8. Adda ab Iorwerth “Ddû, m. Elizabeth or Isabel ferch Gruffudd “Fychan”, of Rhuddallt, Rhiwabon, Denbighshire, dau. of Gruffudd “Fychan” ap Gruffudd “Llwyd”, Baron of Glyndyfrdwy, son of Gruffudd “Llwyd” ap Madog “Fychan”, Steward of Oswestry under Richard FitzAlan, Earl of Arundel, 1347 (Bridgeman, History of the Princes of South Wales, pp. 250-252), and Elizabeth le Strange, of Knockin.’Sir John l’Estrange, Lord of Knockin, brought for his daughter Elizabeth, from Madoc ap Griffith, the marriage of the said Griffith, his son and heir, for which he paid £50 sterling’ (Rot. Parl., vol. 1, p. 306). ‘The First Court called Pengwern, in Chirkland, being part of the possessions of the aforesaid Adda ap Ierwerth Ddu, and Elizabeth his wife, who was daughter of Gruffydd Vychan, ap Gruffydd, of Rhuddallt, which Elizabeth was also sister to Owen Glyndwrdwy (Glendower): she was also the mother of Ievan ap Adda, ap Iorwerth ddu’ (Lewis Dwnn).
9 a. Ieuan ap Adda, d. ante. 1437, of Pengwern (Lloyd, History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher and the Ancient Nobility of Powys Fadog, vol. 6, p. 156), m. Angharad ferch Ednyfed, of Trecastell, Llangoed, Anglesey. He was br. of Rhys ap Adda, Maredudd ap Adda, and Harry ap Adda.
Goronwy, son of Ednyfed Fychan, held Trecastell, Penmynydd and Erddreiniog, all in the commote of Dindaethwy, in the thirteenth century. His grandson, Goronwy ap Tudur similarly held those townships, together with the township of Tregaian. These passed to Tudur Fychan, who is thought to have maintained Trecastell as his principal residence, and he was followed by Ednyfed Fychan ap Tudur in the later fourteenth century. Ednyfed’s daughter, Angharad, heiress of Trecastell, married Ieuan ap Adda ap Iorwerth Du of Pengwern. Ednyfed was the brother of Maredudd ap Tudur, Escheator of Anglesey, fl. 1392-1406, whose son was Owen Tudor (Owain ap Maredudd ap Tudur), who was the second husband of Catherine of Valois (1401–1437), Henry V’s widow. He was the grandfather of Henry VII, founder of the Tudor dynasty, thus:
1. Edmund, Earl of Richmond, m. (1455) Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond.
1.1. King Henry VII., 1485-1509, Earl of Richmond, m. (1486) Elizabeth of York, Plantagenet.
1.1.1. Arthur, Prince of Wales, m. (1501) Catalina of Aragon.
1.1.2. King Henry VIII of England, m. 1. Catalina of Aragon, 2. Anna Boleyn, 3. Jane Seymour, 4. Anna of Cleves, 5. Katharina Howard, 6. Katherine Parr.
10 a. Ieuan “Fychan” ap Ieuan, obit. 1477. He appears in the Minister’s accounts for 26 Henry VI as ‘firmar’ of the ville of Mostyn, at Michaelmas, 1447 (Dwnn, Heraldic Visitations of Wales, vol. 2, p. 125 fn. 4). He was an esquire in the retinue of Thomas FitzAlan, earl of Arundel, and lord of Chirk. He m. Angharad ferch Hywel, dau. of Hywel ap Tudor, of Mostyn, Chwitffordd, Flintshire, and, according to N.L.W. MS. 1557, widow of Edward Stanley. He was a bard and a harpist; on the maternal side he was second-cousin to Edmund, earl of Richmond, and Jasper Tudor, earl of Pembroke. A summary of Ieuan “Fychan” ap Ieuan’s family connections is givwn in ‘Guto’s patrons’, Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, the University of Wales: ‘Ieuan Fychan was descended from a family who had played a prominent role in the administration of Nanheudwy both before the Edwardian conquest and subsequently, when the commote became part of the new lordship of Chirk, Chirkland. His ancestors Iorwerth Hen, Iorwerth Fychan and Iorwerth Foel held key positions in the court of the princes of Powys over three generations. As A.D. Carr (1976: 8) noted: ‘It is … possible that the office of seneschal of Powys Fadog became hereditary in the family of Pengwern, just as the corresponding office of Gwynedd became the preserve of the family of Ednyfed Fychan.’ These were two old and important Welsh families who served the native princes, and it is not surprising that they regarded each other as suitable marriage material: Myfanwy daughter of Iorwerth Ddu (sister of Addaf, Ieuan Fychan’s grandfather) had married Goronwy ap Tudur of Penmynydd, Anglesey. Myfanwy was the young lady from Dinas Brân to whom Hywel ab Einion Lygliw sang a love ode (GGLl poem 1). Ieuan Fychan’s mother, Angharad, was also descended from the same family, being the daughter of Ednyfed ap Tudur of Trecastell (therefore Myfanwy’s sister in law). By referring to Ieuan’s mother as merch Ednyfed naf (106.65), Guto reminds us of this important family connection. Ieuan’s surname ‘Fychan’ probably came from this family, and can be traced back to its effective founder Ednyfed Fychan’.
11 a. John ap Ieuan “Fychan”, d.s.p. of Pengwern, Llangollen, Denbighshire. Younger brother of Hywel of Mostyn. (J. Morris, Shropshire Genealogies, vol. 2, p. 973).
12 a. Roger Baker, alias Roger ap John. See Harl. MSS. 1977, 50, ‘Roger Baker, ap John ap Jeuan Vychan, descended from Llwddocca ap Tudor Trevor’.
13 a. Anne Baker, m. Sir Thomas Leighton, 1443-1519. He m. (1) Elizabeth Devereux, dau. of Walter Devereux, obit. 1485, and Anne Ferrers, dau. and heir of Sir William Ferrers of Chartley, and relict of Sir Richard Corbet, 1451-1493, of Morton Corbet. By Sir Richard Corbet, Elizabeth Devereux had issue: Elizabeth Corbet, wife of Thomas Trentham; by whom she had five daughters: Anne Trentham, who married Ralph Leighton, gentleman, of Cotes, Shropshire; Elizabeth Trentham, who m. Richard Hussey of Albright Hussey, Salop; Katherine, who m. (1) Thomas Hakluyt (d. 1544), esquire, of Eyton in Leominster, Herefordshire, Clerk of the Council in the Marches of Wales; (2) Edmund Foxe (d. 1550) of Ludlow, son and heir of William Foxe of Ludlow. Edmund Fox: educ. Broadgates Hall, Oxf. in Sept. 1531; L. Inn, adm. 28 June 1536. Edmund Foxe and his younger brother Charles obtained in 1537 the reversion to two offices under the council in the marches. ‘Foxe leased from his father the estates of the hospital of St. John in Ludlow, and it was at the hospital’s ‘capital house’ in Ludford that he died. By his will, made when he was ill on 7 Oct. 1550 and proved on the following 27 Nov., he named Reginald Corbet, Richard Cupper and his brother-in-law William Hopton feoffees to a settlement of his property on his father and wife, with remainders to his children and relatives. He provided for the payment to his stepchildren of their legacies under their father’s will, remembered his servant Edward Upton, and appointed Richard Corbet and Edward Hosier amongst others to assist his wife in executing the will. The wardship of his five year-old son Edward was acquired by Nicholas Bacon, and his widow married as her third husband Nicholas Depden’ (Alan Harding, Hist. Parl. Trust, cit. PCC 28 Coode; C142/93/96; CPR, 1550-3, p. 109; 1553, p. 377).
14 a. Margaret Leighton, m. John Parry, alias John ap Harry.
15 a. John Harris of Cruckton, d. c. 1550.
16 a. Richard Harris, m. Eleanor Jenyns, dau. of William Jenyns, of Wallyburne, Salop, evidenced in these deeds: ‘1 Robert Jenyns son of William Jenyns late of Morton Corbett alias Morton Tyret (dec’d) 2 Humphrey Jenyns of the same
1 conveys to 2 all his premises in Moreton, part of which descended to him after the death of William his father’. S/A X322/2/325/9. 11 Oct 1522. ‘Indenture made between Adam Minton, William Jenyns, Robert Dudley, Edmund Collis et al commissioners for assessing of King’s levy in town of Shrewsbury with Roger Barton and other collectors. Names and amounts only, sums raised from 4d to 3.6.8d, total 28.19s.4d’. S.A. XSB/D/2/1/22. 1523-1524. ‘In the term of Thomas Knight and William Jenyns, bailiffs. 28 Oct 9 Hen VIII. Peter Neuton, lately of Petton, Esq., and John Maynwaring, lately of Ightfield, knight, acknowledged his bond to Roger Corbett, son and heir of Robert Corbett, lately of Morton Corbett, knight, deceased’. S.A. X3365/67/64v. 1517-1518.
17 a. John Harris of Cruckton, bur. Apr. 12, 1614, burgess of Shrewsbury, m. Eleanor, dau. Thomas Prowde of Sutton, son of John Prowde, tenant of the Onslows, and grandson of ‘Thomas Prowde of Ludlowe’.
18 a. Rowland Harris of Ludlow, obit. 1605, m. Jane Langford, dau. of Thomas Langford, mentioned here: ‘1. William Beck and Edmond Lloyd, Bailiffs of the Corporation of Ludlow 2. Thomas [Langford], Ludlow, Gent 1-2 ‘All that their fourth part and parcel the arable land commonly called the demesne land …’ (boundaries given) Consideration: ‘… third part of all manner of corn and grain …’ S/A. XLB/4/1/157. 19 July 1598.
He was the son of William Langford, as appears here: ‘Indenture: 8 January 4 Edward VI: between William Langford, Warden of the Palmers Gild of Ludlow and the Brethren etc. with the consent of Thomas Blashefield and John Cockes bailiffs of the town of Ludlowe and the Common Councel of the one part and Charles Foxe gent of the other part; Witnesseth that the said Warden etc. have granted to Charles Foxe their cottage with etc. in Corvestrete between the tenement of John Hucke on one side and of William Cleburye on the other side …’. S/A. XLB/5/2/625. 8 Jan 1551. ‘Indenture made 9 April A.R. 3 Edward VI: Between William Langford, Warden of … the Gild of Our Blessed Lady and St. John the Evangelist of Ludlow …. the one part, and Thomas Coxe of the same town of the other part; witnesseth that the Warden and his brethren with one assent and in consideration of good service by the said Thomas done and to be done in the quyre of the parish church of Ludlow have to farm set and demised etc. to the said Thomas one tenement with appurtenances sett in the street called Shewmaker Rewe between the tenement of the said Thomas on one side to the south and a tenement belonging to the said Gild nowe in the tenure of Humfrey Hynton on the west side’. S.A. XLB/5/2/307. 9 Apr 1549.
19 a. John Harris, bapt. March. 16, 1604, St Lawrence, Ludlow, m. ‘Margaret, d.o. Charles Bough‘ (Baugh), b. January 24, 1613, St. Lawrence, Ludlow, br. of Henry Baugh of Aldon Court, who m. Alice Holland, dau. of William Holland, baptized at Burwarton in 1574, and buried there in 1642 (Will proved P.C.C. 94 Campbell), son of Thomas Holland, bur. at Stottesden in 1612, and Alicia, ‘fil. Thomas Cocke of Pickthorne’ (Will pr. P.C.C. 19 Capell, 1613); styled ‘of Pickthorne’, aunt of Richard Cocke, b. 1597 at Pickthorne, Stottesdon, Shropshire; bapt. December 13, 1597 at Sidbury in Shropshire; obit. Bremo Bluff, Henrico, 1665.
20.a. Major William Harris, b. January 13, 1627/8, St. Larence, Ludlow; neighbour of the Cocke and Baugh families in Virginia.
9 b. Harry ap Adda. (Joseph Morris, Genealogy of Shropshire, vol. 4, p. 1933). See also Treswell’s Vis., Salop, 1623, p. 70, ped. Brome, which wrongly omits Harry ap Richard, but is otherwise correct.
10 b. Richard ap Harry.
11 b. Harry ap Richard.
12 b. John ap Harry, m. Margaret Leighton, dau. of Sir Thomas Leighton and Anne Baker.
13 b. John Harris, obit 1550. His sister, Elizabeth, m. Thomas Brome, son of John Brome and Margaret Corbet, sister of Richard Corbet of Abrighton, and aunt of Thomas Corbet ‘of Longnor’, who m. Jane Burton; their issue inc. Edward Corbet of Longnor (dsp), who m. Katharine Lee, dau of Thomas Lee of Langley.
14 b. Richard Harris, obit. 1543, m. Eleanor Jennyns.
15 b. John Harris of Cruckton, bur. Apr. 12, 1614, burgess of Shrewsbury, m. Eleanor, dau. Thomas Prowde of Sutton, grandson of a namesake given in this deed: ‘William Haye gent have transferred and to farm let to Thomas Prowde of Ludlowe … at Ludelowe 10 September A.R. 2 Henry VII’. S/A. XLB/5/2/490. He was the son of John Prowde, evidenced here: ‘Ralph Lee of Longley, Esq., grants to Edward Gabett of Acton Burnell all his lands and tenements, rents and services in the township and fields of Acton Burnell … of which lands and tenements do John Leighton of [Church] Stretton, Esq.bought one half from the said John Esthop which the said Ralph Lee lately had of the gift of the same John Leighton, but the other half of the lands and tenements to Ralph lately had of the gift of Sybil and Philip, son and heir of the said Roger and Sibil, as appears by deeds made by John Leighton to Ralph. Witnesses: Thomas Acton of Longnor, Richard Lee Esq., William Lyster of Salop, mercer, John Adams of Ponsbury, John Knycght of Cressege, John Prowde of Conde’. S/A. X1514/3/1/3/67. 2 Feb 1470.
16 b. Rowland Harris of Ludlow, obit. 1605, m. Jane Langford. Rowland was the br. of (1) Arthur Harris, Esq. of Prescot, near Baschurch, m. Jane Newton. Their son, Thomas Harris, m. (1632) Alice Holland, dau. of William Holland, baptized at Burwarton in 1574, and buried there in 1642 (Will proved P.C.C. 94 Campbell), son of Thomas Holland, bur. at Stottesden in 1612, and Alicia, ‘fil. Thomas Cocke of Pickthorne’ (Will pr. P.C.C. 19 Capell, 1613); styled ‘of Pickthorne’, aunt of Richard Cocke, b. 1597 at Pickthorn, Stottesdon, Shropshire; bapt. Dec. 13, 1597 at Sidbury in Shropshire; obit. Bremo Bluff, Henrico, 1665.
17 b. John Harris, bapt. March. 16, 1604, St Lawrence, Ludlow.
18 b. Major William Harris, b. January 13, 1627/8, St. Lawrence, Ludlow.
copyright m stanhope 2015
THE ROYAL WELSH ANCESTRY OF MAJOR WILLIAM HARRIS
1. Gwerystan ap Gwaithfoed.
2. Cynfyn ap Gwerystan, m. Angharad, widow of Llywelyn ap Seisyll (d. 1023); an 11th century King of Gwynedd, Powys and Deheubarth.
3. Bleddyn ap Cynfyn, d. 1073; installed by Harold and Tostig Godwinson as king of Gwynedd in 1063 on his father’s death.
4. Maredudd ap Bleddyn, d. February 9, 1132, King of Powys in eastern Wales. He married Hunedd ferch Einudd.
5. Griffith ap Meredith, Lord of Mowddwy, submitted with his father to Henry I. He took an active part in the feuds and warfare of the period, and d. v. p. in 1128, leaving, by Gwerfyl his wife, dau. of Gwrgenas ap Howel, of Caer-a-Chydewin, an only child:
6. Owen Cyfeiliog ap Griffith, Prince of Powys Cyfeiliog, or Higher Powys, to which he s. on the demise of his grandfather, Meredith ap Bleddyn. In 1176, he attended the summons of Henry to a conference with him at Oxford on Welsh affairs. Owen Cyfeiliog, ‘Lord of Mathrafal, the poet and the prince’ (Southey), was a distinguished bard, and among other productions of his muse, which have been transmitted to us, is his Welch ode called ‘Hirlas’, or the ‘Blue Long Horn’. In the year 1170, he founded the Cistercian abbey of Ystrad Marchell (Strata Marcella), and d. in 1197, leaving, by the Princess Gwenllian, his consort, dau. of Owen Gwynedd, Prince of North Wales, an only child:
7. Gwenwynwyn ap Owen Cyfeiliog, Prince of Powys Cyfeiliog; pourtrayed in the ‘Betrothed’ of Sir Walter Scott. In the 2nd of Henry III. (1218) Gwenwynwyn appears to have been dead, his widow Margaret living, and his heirs under age. By Margaret his consort, dau. of Robert Corbet, feudal Baron of Caus, Gwenwynwyn, who resumed the arms of his line, subsequently borne by his descendants, viz., ‘or, a lion rampant, gu‘, had issue:
8. Griffith ap Gwenwynwyn, Prince of Powys-Wenwynwyn. On 15 July, 1223, Ranulph, Earl of Chester, was ordered to see that the constable of Brug (Bridgenorth), Shropshire, do send the sons of Gwnwynwyn to Gloucester; and on the 19th, the king being then at Gloucester, the earl certifies their arrival. As the penalty of disaffection to Llewelyn, Prince of North Wales, Griffith’s country was taken by that monarch; but, temporising, he joined Llewelyn, and, as a test of his sincerity, took and demolished the castle of Mold, then a frontier town. He must still have changed, for it is a matter of complaint on the part of Llewelwyn, that Edward I. of England had received and protected his rebel subject. Griffith m. Hawys, dau. of John le Strange, feudal Lord of Knockyn and Cheswardine, and by her, who had a royal grant of the manor of Stretton-dale, and the wardship of the lands in capite of her grandson, Griffin de la Pole, had issue:
9.William ap Griffith, alias Wilcox, surnamed ‘De la Pole‘, Lord of Mowddwy, which was granted to him by his brother Owen, to be held of himself. This noble, who was living 17th EDwARD I., and dead 9th Edward II. (1315), m. the Lady Eleanor, junior co-heir of the monarchs of South Wales and Powys, 3rd dau. of Thomas ap Llewelyn, Lord of Yscoed, twenty-eight years of age and upwards, Sunday next after the Feast of St. Michael, 2 October, 2nd Edward III. (1328), and sister and co-heir of Owen ap Thomas, Lord of Half Yscoed, Monday next after the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, 18th Edward III. (20 September, 1334). By this lady he had,
10. Griffith ap William, son and heir, 12th Edward II., and as ‘Griffin, son of William de la Pole’, Lord of Mowddwy, appointed high sheriff of Merionethshire, 4th Edward III.
11. John ap William, Lord of Mowddwy, under age at the death of his father, 12th Edward II. m. Catherine, only dau. and heir of Sir Foulk Corbet, Knt., of Watlesborough, and had with a son, Fowlk ap John, Lord of Mowddwy, who d.s.p., seized of the manor of Watlesborough, a dau.:
12. Elizabeth ferch John ap William, who as heiress of her brother, succeeded to Mowddwy. She m. Sir Hugh de Burgh, Knt., and with him had seizin of the manor of Watlesborough, 9th Henry VI. (1438), and they held the fourth part of the Barony of Caus, co. Salop, viz., a moiety of the manor of Worthen, and the manors of Over Garthor and Banghaltre.
13. John de Burgh, Knt., son and heir, 9th Henry VI., high sheriff for Shropshire in 1442, d. 9th Edward IV. He m. Johanna, dau. and heir of Sir William Clopton, Knt., of Clopton, co. Warwick, and Radbrooke, co. Gloucester; the latter of whom d. seized of Radbrooke, 7th Henry IV. In 14th Edward IV., the manor of Watlesborough, with other extensive domains, was released and confirmed for life to this lady, as relict of Sir John Burgh.
14. Angharad de Burgh, Lady of Watlesborough and Cardeston, who m. John Leighton of Stretton, co. Salop, jure uxoris Lord of Watlesborough and Cardeston, son of Edward Leighton and Elizabeth Stapleton, and by him, who was thrice high sheriff of Shropshire, was mother of:
15. Sir Thomas Leighton, knight-banneret and knight of the body to Henry VII., M.P. for Shropshire in the reigns of Henry VII. and Henry VIII, who married Elizabeth Devereux, dau. of Sir Walter Devereux, 1st Lord Ferrers (of Chartley) and Anne Ferrers, dau. of Sir William Ferrers, 7th Lord Ferrers (of Chartley), on 26 November 1446. Sir Thomas Leighton m. 2. Anne, dau. of Roger Baker* of Shrewsbury, and by her had issue (1) Thomas Leighton of Rodenhurst, Salop,
(2) Joyce, wife of William Spencer, of Whitton, Salop, (3) Elizabeth, who m. James Leche, of Newtown, Montgom, (4) Margaret, who m. John Parry, alias John ap Harry; their son being John Harrys of Carston (Cardeston), later of Cruckton, d. 1550; the ancestor of of Major William Harris. These were extremely well connected families. *The following authorities give the surname of his second wife as “Baker, 1 Harl. MSS., 1987, 7; 1984, 224; 2146, 7; 1396, 247; 1241, 21, etc. Furthermore Harl. MSS. 1977, 50, gives a Welsh descent for her father, “Roger Baker” (ap John ap Jeuan Vychan, descended from Llwddocca ap Tudor Trevor). By his first wife, Sir Thomas Leighton, was the father of John Leighton, who married, secondly, Joyce Sutton (dau. of Edward Sutton, 2nd Lord Dudley, and Cicely Willoughby), who, on his decease, in 1632, m. Richard Lee, as seen in the case of Hyggons v Lee. S.A. C 1/827/31. 1533-1538. Plaintiffs: Peter Hyggons of Stretton, yeoman. Defendants: Richard Lee, esquire, of Langley, husband of Joyce, late the wife of John Leyghton, esquire, and John Harrys of Carston (Cardeston); the bailiffs of Shrewsbury. Subject: Action on a bond given on behalf of the said Harrys, for redemption of pledges given by the said Joyce. Subpoena and certiorari. Shropshire. 1533-1538. John Leighton was the br. of Richard Leighton, who m. Katherine ap Harry, likely sister of John ap Harry, aforementioned.
16. Margaret Leighton, m. John Parry, alias John ap Harry.
17. John Harris of Cruckton, d. 1550.
18. Richard Harris, m. Eleanor Jenyns, dau. of William Jenyns, of Wallyburne, Shropshire.
19. John Harris of Cruckton, d. 1614, m. Eleanor Prowde, bur. Pontesbury, March 13, 1599/1600, dau of Thomas Prowde.
20. Rowland Harris, obit. 1605, m. (September 14, 1595), Jane Langford (bapt. 0ctober 10, 1567), dau. of Thomas Langford, of Ludlow.
21. John Harris, bapt. March. 16, 1604.
22. Major William Harris, b. January 13, 1627/8.
copyright m stanhope 2015